What financial help is out there for people living with dementia & their carers?

  • Home
  • »
  • Family Carers
  • »
  • What financial help is out there for people living with dementia & their carers?

As the cost of living rises, families and carers have been telling us that what they’re most worried about right now is money. Below is a guide to where you can seek financial assistance after a dementia diagnosis or when caring for your loved one.

The UK Government

Because dementia is legally defined as a disability in the UK, people with dementia can apply for benefits to help them to manage living with the condition. The benefits you could apply for include:

      • Attendance Allowance (AA)

      • Personal Independence Payment (PIP)

      • Disability Living Allowance (DLA)

    As someone caring for someone with dementia, the benefits you could apply for include:

      • Carer’s Allowance

      How do I find out what benefits I’m entitled to?

      UK Government Benefits Calculator

      This is a good tool for checking your eligibility for the benefits listed above, and will also check for other types of benefits that you may be entitled to when you use it. It is designed for use by people over the age of 18.

      Turn2us Benefits Calculator

      Turn2us is a service that helps people access benefits and charitable grants, as well as other financial assistance. Their calculator is very popular because it offers support and advice alongside the results of your calculation, as well as being completely confidential and anonymous.


      Is there any help out there for navigating the benefits system?

      The Alzheimer’s Society

      The Alzheimer’s Society website has a fantastic section specifically for people living with dementia or caring for someone with dementia, outlining the legal and financial support you can seek from the UK government and how to apply for it. Their page on Benefits for People Affected by Dementia is a great place to start.

      Citizens Advice

      The Citizens Advice website has information on what benefits you’re entitled to if you are disabled or caring for someone who is disabled. Under UK law, this includes people with dementia and their carers.

      You can speak to a Citizens Advice adviser in person, online, or over the phone:


      Northern Ireland



      Although if living in Northern Ireland you can’t get advice online, you can by contacting Citizens Advice.

      Charities and Funds

      Below is a list of charities that we recommend as sources of advice or funding if you’re dealing with financial hardship while living with dementia or caring for someone with dementia.

      If you’re here because you’ve been looking at our holidays but feel that the cost is out of reach for you, take a look at Dementia Adventure’s handy Guide to Financial Assistance. This guide was written with the aim of helping to make our breaks accessible to people from all walks of life, and contains advice specifically for those looking for help to finance a Dementia Adventure holiday.

      Alzheimer’s Society:  A national charity providing support to people with all types of dementia and their carers as well as support groups. Contact to find details of your local branch.

      📞: 0333 150 3456

      Dementia UK:  Runs a national helpline and email service.

      📞: 0800 888 6678

      📧: direct@dementiauk.org

      Age UK:  UK-wide charity which can provide information and advice. Contact them via their website or phone number below to find information and details of your local branch.

      📞: 0800 169 2081

      Carers UK:  Offers expert advice, information, and support for all carers.

      📞: 0808 808 7777

      Carers Trust:  Supports carers locally through a UK-wide network of 160 Network Partners who offer information, advice, guidance, emotional support, local carer support groups.

      📞:  0844 800 4361

      ABF The Soldiers Charity: Supports soldiers and former soldiers. They provide financial assistance to all soldiers and their families for debt relief, mobility assistance, educational bursaries, care home fees, respite breaks, and more.

      Ambulance Services Charity: Endeavours to help both serving and retired ambulance personnel and their immediate dependents in times of exceptional hardship, poverty, or personal need.

      Architects Benevolent Society: The only registered charity in the UK dedicated to helping architects, assistants, technologists, technicians, landscape architects, and their families, in times of need. They help people of all ages who have experienced illness, accident, redundancy, unemployment, bereavement or other personal misfortune. Support ranges from confidential advice to financial assistance.

      Bakers Benevolent Society: An Almshouse Charity that provides sheltered accommodation in Epping & Essex. They provide housing, care and support to the retired people of the Baking Industry and its Allied Trades.

      BEN: The UK’s dedicated charity for those who work, or have worked, in the automotive and related industries, and their dependents. BEN’s Welfare Service supports individuals and families through challenging times, providing help, advice, information and financial support.

      The Ben (licensed trade, Scotland): Supports anyone in need in the licensed trade in Scotland, whatever their age or background, provided they have worked in the licensed trade for at least three years full-time.

      British Allied Trades Federation: The British Allied Trades Federation Benevolent Society financially assists individuals that have worked within the giftware, jewellery, surface engineering and travel goods and fashion accessories industries.

      Chartered Accountants’ Benevolent Association (CABA): Provides advice and practical (including financial) support to current and former ICAEW chartered accountants and their families including ICAEW chartered accountants, retired ICAEW chartered accountants, spouses & life partners, active ACA students and those living overseas.

      Civil Service Benevolent Fund: Supports civil servants past or present and those who work for organisations directly funded by a government department. Support is available in relation to money, stress and anxiety, caring, depression, relationships, and mental health.

      The Drinks Trust: Supports members from every sector of the UK drinks industry facing serious medical or financial hardship, including serious illness, disability, or debt, as well as workplace difficulties, home difficulties, or family crisis.

      Electrical Industries Charity: To help current and retired staff to manage significant life issues and events, such as debt, state benefits, health issues, relationship difficulties, family problems, legal rights, bereavement, abuse, and emotional distress. They can also provide assistance for respite breaks for carers.

      GroceryAid: GroceryAid is the trading name of the National Grocers’ Benevolent Fund (NGBF). There is a wide range of guidance and support available at GroceryAid including legal advice, housing, personal and family work and career, benefits, money and debt.

      Hospitality Action: Offers vital assistance to all who work or have worked within hospitality in the UK and who find themselves in crisis. The charity supports people experiencing life-altering illnesses, poverty, bereavement, domestic violence, and isolation after retiring from the industry. Grants are available for a range of things including essential items, food, equipment, and central heating.

      The Market Research Benevolent Association: Provides financial help, advice, and assistance to anyone who works or has worked in market research (including market researchers, interviewers, recruiters, office staff, and independents in the market research industry) and to their immediate families. MRBA supports those who need help with debt, or other financial assistance brought on because of an injury, illness, bereavement, carer responsibility, or other personal issue.

      NASUWT Benevolent Fund: Available to members and former members of the Teachers’ Union and their dependents, provided a subscription has been paid to the Union. Provides effective short-term assistance during difficulties relating to financial hardship as a result of chronic illness, bereavement, an accident, or loss of employment through dismissal or redundancy.

      NewstrAid: Supports people and their immediate dependents who have been employed in newspaper and magazine distribution in the UK (anyone who deals with newspapers and magazines from the time they leave the printing press until they reach the reader). The charity will help people with a proven trade connection and are in need of support and/or financial assistance.

      The Printing Charity: The Printing Charity helps those who have worked in the printing industry. One-off grants and regular financial assistance are available for those on relatively low incomes.

      PRS for Music Members Benevolent Fund: Provides financial help and advice to PRS members experiencing hardship due to illness, accident, disability, or conditions associated with old age. They offer cash grants to deal with a crisis, help towards essential living costs, free specialist medical assessments as well as financial and debt management.

      RAF Benevolent Fund: Supports people and the families of people who are currently serving, or have served, in the RAF.

      Royal College of Nursing Foundation: Provides hardship funding to members of the nursing team in times of need. Through the Benevolent Funds they offer support to all working and retired nurses, midwives, health care assistants, nursing students, and their families.

      Royal Medical Benevolent Fund: The leading UK charity for doctors and medical students and their families. They provide financial support and money advice when it is needed due to age, ill health, disability, or bereavement.

      Soldiers, Sailors, Airmen and Families Association (SSAFA): The umbrella Forces charity supporting both Regulars and Reserves in the British Army, the Royal Navy, and the Royal Air Force and their families, including anyone who has completed National Service.

      The Solicitors’ Charity: An independent charity working for solicitors both past and present and their families. They help people of all ages who are in serious financial need as a result of illness, accident, redundancy, or other adversity.

      Timber Trades’ Benevolent Society (TTBS): For applicants who have worked in the Timber Trade in the UK for at least 10 years as employees of companies engaged in the trading and distribution of wood based products, are in receipt of a low income, have little or no savings, and live within the UK.

      Unite the Union Benevolent Fund: The Fund for Unite the Union members and employees and their immediate dependents.

      Understanding Dementia Better

      We know that money worries can impact your mental health. If money is making you anxious, the Alzheimer’s SocietyDementia UK, and Carers Trust are all fantastic organisations that offer both advice and emotional support to people living with dementia and the people who care for them.

      Money worries can be compounded by anxiety about how to care for a loved one living with dementia. If that’s the case for you, we’re here to help. Our free Understanding Dementia Better sessions are informal, practical sessions offering strategies, hints, tips, and guidance to help you in your support role. Held online, they’re available to you wherever you are in the world, and offer you small and easy steps that can make a big difference.

      Recent posts




      Share this post